Saturday 9 June 2012

COMPLETE QUOTES - The Book Thief



The power of words is never more evident than in the masterful narrative by Death in the 'The Book Thief' ranked #18 on my All-Time Books list.

All quotes are by Death, unless in quotation marks to indicate other characters within the book.  The page number reference is from the 2006 'domino' Knopf cover design soft cover edition (550 pages).

For a capsule review of Book Thief, click link below and scroll down to Book #99
QUICK HITS - March 2012 (Book Read #99)

11   the graying light arm-wrestled the sky.
14   a septic truth bleeds toward clarity.
15   each story is an immense leap of an attempt - to prove that you, and your human existence, are worth it.
27   The day was gray, the color of
Europe.
80   She was the book thief without the words.
107 Is there cowardice in being glad that you lived?
160 Mein Kampf. Of all the things to save him.
164 Proof again of the contradictory human being.  So much good, so much evil. Just add water.
178 Two war for two escapes... Not many men are lucky enough to cheat me twice.
189 “When death captures me, he will feel my fist on his face.”  Such stupid gallantry.
208 Living was living. The price was guilt and shame.
242 Even death has a heart.
309 So many humans. So many colors.
321 One ribbon, one pinecone. One button, one stone.
336 the sky was yellow, like burning newspaper.
350 I even kissed a few weary, poisoned cheeks.
378 From a
Himmel Street window, he wrote, the stars set fire to my eyes.
391 Their eyes were enormous in their starving skulls.
392 The suffering faces …reached across to them, pleading… for an explanation.
395 If nothing else, the old man would die like a human.
410 “They (fallen dominos) look like dead bodies.”
464 It kills me sometimes, how people die
473 It was with great sadness that she realized her brother would be six forever.
479 A broken leg was certainly something to celebrate.
482 “Stealing is what the army does. Taking your father, and mine.”
491 Still, they have one thing I envy. Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die.
503 He killed himself for wanting to live.
506 The Fuhrer's pimply little knees were starting to shake.
512 “‘Is it really you? The young man asked,’” she said. “ ‘Is it from your cheek that I took the seed?’”
518 “‘Hair the color of lemons,’” Rudy read. “You told him about me?”
521 Without words, the Fuhrer was nothing.
531 He does something to me, that boy (Rudy). It’s his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.
536 He tasted like regret in the shadow of trees
550 *** A LAST NOTE FROM YOUR NARRATOR***   I am haunted by humans



6 comments:

  1. I just finished reading this book today and, in my haste to finish it and discover the ending, I didn't make any kind of annotations. I began reading this in late June for a school assignment and have another book to finish soon, so your post helped me find my way back to all the memorable parts of the book without having to scan through all 550 pages. This blog you're doing is great, by the way, perhaps I should also do something like this to keep myself in check. (I tend to slack off, even with books that I like) :3 Thank you very much for your post, I'm glad we can share a love for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete